- PhD in Palliative Care, University of Liverpool, 2015.
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians, 2009.
- MBChB (with commendation), University of Liverpool, 2005.
I am a Clinical Lecturer and speciality trainee in Palliative Medicine. In April 2015, I completed my PhD at the University of Liverpool. My PhD project involved the use of bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) to evaluate hydration in advanced cancer. For this work I was awarded the 2014 Twycross Research prize of the Association of Palliative Medicine and received joint 3rd place for the Early Researcher Award of the European Association of Palliative Care (EAPC). I also won the National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI) conference prize on two occasions in 2012 and 2014. Previously, I have been appointed to National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) clinical-academic posts as part of the Integrated Clinical Academic Training (ICAT) pathway. I have several first-author publications in peer-reviewed journals and have presented several original research projects nationally and internationally. I have acted as an invited external peer reviewer for Palliative Medicine, BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care and the BMJ. My current research interests include: hydration in advanced disease; use of technological applications and new media in the delivery of palliative medicine, and personalised medicine in palliative care.
Media articles related to current projects:
Hydration in advanced disease
- Podcasts can help global discussion of palliative care (University of Liverpool)
- Improving the approach to end of life care (University of Liverpool)
- Marie Curie Research Impact report (page 36)
- Coming full circle: Thoughts on winning the European Association for Palliative Care Early Researcher Award (EAPC blog)
Use of Technology in palliative care
- AmiPal podcast
- Discussion of palliative care on Twitter is largely positive, and increasing (E-hospice article)
- Palliative care podcasts (Pallimed)
You can be a doctor video
- Starter grants for Clinical Lecturers, Academy of Medical Sciences, 2016.
- 1st place winner of oral presentation, Academic Clinical Lecturers Prize Presentation, University of Liverpool, 2015.
- Early Researcher Award 2015 (joint 3rd place), European Association of Palliative Care (EAPC), 2015.
- Twycross Research Prize, Association of Palliative Medicine (APM), 2014.
- Winner of the National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI) Conference Prize, 2014.
- Winner of the National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI) Conference Prize, 2012.
- The John M Leggate Trophy, Liverpool Medical School, University of Liverpool, 2005.
- Caroline Elliott award, University of Liverpool, 2003.